Next Generation Consoles

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
My post in the other thread got me thinking about what the next generation of consoles will be like. While the average life cycle for a console is 5 years, I'm pretty sure this generation will be longer, at least for the 360 and PS3. If not, we'll be seeing the 360's successor next year, and I'm really not sure if that will happen. I'm almost sure the PS4 won't launch in 2011. Sony is losing money at an incredible rate, not only in the gaming division but all across the company. Microsoft is faring well in these tough economic times, and they now make a profit on each 360 sold. Sony still loses up to 100 dollars per console. Not only that but sales of the PS3 are, frankly, awful. Sony is tauting a 10-year cycle, but they said that for the PSX and PS2, also; they just mean 10 years until they stop supporting the console, not until they release its sucessor. MS has already sunk billions of dollars into the Xbox brand to establish itself, and they've done that admirably. They're going to want to milk profits from the 360 for as long as they can.

The reason that Microsoft released the 360 only 4 years after the original Xbox was that their contract with nVidia to make the Xbox GPUs ran out, they couldn't renew for whatever reason, and they stopped being manufactured, so MS had to rush the 360 to the market. That's also partly why the 360 has been fraught with so many technical issues. Releasing a year ahead of Sony has been a great success for them; they're vastly outselling the PS3 in America and slightly so in Europe, traditionally a safe Sony zone. The PS3 is beating the 360 in Japan, but they're both selling horrendously so it doesn't really make a difference. I'm sure MS will try to launch the 360's successor a year ahead of PS4.

Now, Nintendo basically has free reign to do whatever the hell it wants, or so it would seem. The Wii and DS are both selling better than hotcakes and gangbusters combined. However, when Nintendo releases the follow-up to the Wii, it's going to want to make sure it still captivates the same massive, casual gaming audience. Grandparets buy Wiis for themselves. These aren't people who will be interested in buying the Wii 2 for a graphical upgrade. Either way, Nintendo can't keep up with MS and Sony in terms of funding for powerful technology R & D, regardless of how much money they make off the Wii. Nintendo's profits are still a drop in the bucket compared to MS's. So, Nintendo will almost certainly think of some new way of playing games that could be just as different as the Wiimote was when it came out. And, I think to an extent, MS and Sony will try to follow Nintendo. I don't think that the graphical leap between current and next-gen consoles will be so big; rather, MS and Sony will try and grab a piece of Nintendo's audience. While they'll still cater to gamers like us, for sure, they'll almost certainly both move towards the casual audience in some respect.

Not only that, but I'd be surprised if there is a PSP2. It started off very well, almost beating the DS, but now the DS has gone out of this world and the PSP has heavily stagnated. Software sales are atrocious and UMD is all but dead.

Anyway I've rambled on long enough. Give me your thoughts.

Bronson

I'll need a badge.
Nov 10, 2003
I hadn't put much thought into this, mostly because I don't spend much money on video games anymore.

I think the point you made about the Wii's successor is right on point. But then again, Wiis could turn out to be like iPods. Everyone has one, but I know of alot of people that get a new one everytime the new model comes out.

I'll probably make another post later.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Good posts. I was thinking about this a little bit. All right, look:

The Wiis are STILL hard to come by. Yeah, they don't sell out the day stores get them anymore but you can't waltz into a store on any given day and find a wii. As a result, Nintendo hasn't milked the Wii all the way. The Wii Fit and Mario Kart were "super games" for the Wii as well, those two games are also hard to come by: Wii Fit moreso than Mario Kart. In fact, working in retail, I'm aware that Wii Fits do NOT stay on the shelves.

Now, due to the fact that a lot of people have just now been able to get their hands on the Wiis, and the demand is still so high (for the console, and for the games) I'm going to say a new Nintendo release won't be 5 years from the Wii release. They can last longer, and since it looks like MS and Sony aren't going to do it either they are under no pressure.

Also, I'd like to point out the Nintendo DS sells like moderately fast. Working at Best Buy, we've ran out several times before we could get new shipments.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Worldwide, the DS is selling faster than the PS2 ever did, and also the Wii. In Japan, before they released the DSi, they were running out of people to sell DSs to. Yep, it prints money.

I'm sure Microsoft will be first to market again with a new console, with a smaller power increase, and probably no more than a $300 price tag, at least for the standard SKU. Though I hope they stop doing this different SKU crap, Sony has like 50 versions of the PS3 you can buy. Hopefully it'll be a lot more stable than the 360, no more RRODs thank you. It'll probably further MS's goal of having a truly universal platform; they want an integrated experience with Windows, Xbox, Zune, Media Center, all that stuff. As long as it's with Windows 7, that's not a bad thing at all.

Last edited:

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, I'm sure the new console for MS won't have the quality issues that's going on right now. And I agree, stick with 1-2 versions of the console you can buy! Jesus