The Callisto Protocol

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
callisto.jpgcallisto2.jpg

This came up for free in my Playstation Plus catalogue so I added it to my library without much thought.
Looked into a just a bit, turns out it's directed by the guy that created Dead Space (which I loved). This blurb on Wikipedia sums it up:

"The Callisto Protocol is a 2022 survival horror game developed by Striking Distance Studios and published by Krafton. The game is directed by Dead Space series creator Glen Schofield and is considered a spiritual successor to the series."

So I thought: it's certainly not old, and I gotta try a spiritual successor to Dead Space. Anyway, I beat it. I did some browsing online and it seems like the general consensus amongst players is that it isn't that good. Personally, I thought it was really solid. The graphics were more than satisfactory- they were really good, actually. The game was able to find a nice balance between action and horror characteristics. Light on the puzzles. The melee system took a bit of getting used to (you start out with melee only, and I got my ass kicked quite a few times until I figured it out)

Weapons have an upgrade system (I would have liked more upgrades: such as to armor/health).
You're dealing with melee, guns, and a gravity throw gauntlet (self explanatory) as your arsenal. Something additional would have been neat.
The story was "enough" for me. Nothing groundbreaking there.

But...it was free! And it felt and played like a sister to Dead Space. I don't foresee a sequel to this coming at all, but I gotta say if you have it already from PS+ or something, it's worth a play. I'd also value a purchase of this game too, probably up to $29.99.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
I had been looking forward to it for a long time, but it really missed the mark. Boring and repetitive. Not even remotely close to Dead Space outside of being a survivor horror in space. Dead Space remake is very good, for what it's worth.

Congrats on getting it for free though.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
I had been looking forward to it for a long time, but it really missed the mark. Boring and repetitive. Not even remotely close to Dead Space outside of being a survivor horror in space. Dead Space remake is very good, for what it's worth.

Congrats on getting it for free though.

I'm interested in playing the remake but can't quite justify buying it at full price. I'll grab it eventually, and would like to see the 2nd one remade as well.