The Universe is too damned big

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
From this article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-scientific-theories-head-explode

"The Crazy Part: The part where the Universe isn’t just bigger than you can possibly comprehend, but according to recent evidence, billions of times larger than that.

What It Says: That the universe is big. So big, that just that fact, just it’s mere bigness, is enough to blow your tiny ant mind. And it just keeps getting bigger. Let’s examine the famous Hubble Ultra Deep Field image, the most massive photo ever taken:

hudf.jpg

Right now, on your computer screen, are approximately 10,000 galaxies.

Each of those galaxies contains anywhere from ten million to one trillion stars.

The average star is roughly a million times the size of Earth.

And yet, with all that junk, the Universe is more than 90 percent empty space. All of that, in this tiny photo. A photo that took 400 orbits and 800 exposures to take.

And the kicker? The photo covers one thirteen-millionth of the entire night sky.

So What Does This Do For Me? If you’re like us, it leaves you alternately awash with spiritual wonder and horrified feelings of utter insignificance. Actually imagining just how infinitesimal you are in the scope of the universe is like autoerotic asphyxiation: it’s not as pleasant as you’d think, and if you do it wrong you can end up a vegetable. And without getting too Douglas Adams on you, can you possibly imagine that much space and that many planets and stars and atoms smashing together without intelligent life forming? Now it’s just a matter of getting around that pesky general relativity and we’ll be chilling with aliens in no time. Or, like, a million years.

Wait, It Gets Worse: So all that shit we just said about how big the universe is (at least 90 billion light years)? Forget it. That’s small beans. The Cosmological Horizon is here to make your day a whole lot more complicated. Since we can only observe stellar bodies that have had some effect on us (usually bombarding us with light), there is an outer limit to what we can see of the universe. Hence, the “observable universe.” What about the rest? The parts of the universe beyond our Starcraft-style fog of war? Well, according to some math we have no interest in going into, the size of the “actual” universe is so large that if the universe we just described (the impossibly, mind-bogglingly large one) were the size of a quarter, the actual universe would be the size of the Earth. Daaaaaaaamn."

So it's about 1:20 AM on a cold November night. I go outside for a smoke, and I look into the sky, and I see hundreds of stars. Which, of course, is nothing. The article above sums it up pretty well with this picture:
mapoftheuniverse.jpg

Makes a guy feel pretty small.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Nice.

I thought the Many Worlds Theory was pretty cool too.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
look at the nametag!
you're in my world now grandma

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
I don't really believe in a multiple worlds theory, and they got their ideas of evolution TOTALLY WRONG, like laughably so. Half of you existed inside an egg inside your mother while she was an egg inside HER mother and so on and so forth? Lmao, no. Quantum entaglement sounds like a bunch of crazy shit, though who freakin' knows about that and the Copenhagen interpretation. Except super mega mathematicians, and I don't think anybody here is one 'o them.

There's no real arguments about the size of the universe, though.

Oh and if the multiple worlds theory IS true, that means there's a me out there somewhere that is livin' it up with redacted instead of sittin' here being an angry depressed wreck. I hate that sumbitch! I just think the whole theory gives a somewhat inflated sense of importance to humanity. If it WERE true, it would have to mean that there's a parallel universe with a different path for every move made from everything that has ever existed, ever. That just seems silly to me.

Last edited:

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
With the universe being so big, how could anyone believe that there is no life out there?

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
I dunno! I don't think there's even a name for the number of planets there are out there. It's probably like 10^100 at least.