Tomodachi Life

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This is a weird little "life simulation" game being released on June 6th for the 3DS. Nintendo sent me a free demo of this last night because I was a Club Nintendo platinum member, and here is what my experience was like of the admittedly short demo.

The demo allows you to name your island, pick your Mii that you want to represent yourself as well as your neighbors. Unfortunately the demo only lets you have three people and solve five "problems" until it stops giving you more stuff to do, which is pretty lame, but what it showed off was really cool and makes you want more.

The people it lets you add come from your Mii Maker, so I went to the Mii Plaza and added all the Nintendo people and all the people I knew to Mii Maker. In game, it gives you more options to add to them, like birth year, full name, relation to you, personalities, voice, etc. The nice thing is if you change your mind about any of that, you can edit it again, so there isn't any pressure on getting that voice exactly right.

I added me, my wife, and Reggie to my island, called Koholint.

Although I specified that my wife was my wife, it still sort of treats her like I never met her before (let's go meet Viviana!) then the dialogue acts like we do know each other? The game is somewhat creepy as it seemed to know my wife a little too well. She kept farting in game and the first thing she said was "I'm trying to think of mean things to say to Travis the next time we fight". Very creepy. Stop watching my life, game.

Overall, I really like this game because it's so goofy, the computerized voices are nice to listen to and they are able to pronounce things correctly (there is even an option to tell it how to pronounce your name). The animation is also charming and I enjoy watching what the Mii's do.

It's a shame so much controversy over politics has been spread over this game as I feel this will prevent Nintendo, or even other developers, from bringing anymore weird titles like this to the States. For people saying Nintendo never creates new IP, here is one that deserves a look.

Last edited:

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
This the best game I've ever played.

Almost.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I'm pretty interested, but is it worth $35 or would that be better spent on other eshop titles?

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I love this game, but the problem I'm having is that everyones asleep and wont wake up! They must sleep in real time. There isnt much to do when they're asleep!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
You can wake them up usually.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
this game got old after a while,an always online one had potential maybe?!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
The wife used to play the shit out of this. But yeah, once you upgrade your apartments and get all the stuff it gets kind of redundant. Still like to boot it up once in a while just to see whats going on.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
I only pay attention to Tomadachi so I can watch this guy's random videos on Youtube.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I wish they had a follow up to this game but it was like always online

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Amen.

I always thought it would be a cool idea to have like Animal Crossing islands but like they are part of a greater world that anyone can visit regardless if the person is online or not. And then a central hub for people to congregate. I guess not really different from an animal crossing MMO.

Same sort of thing with Tomadachi Life, huge apartment complex everyone lives in but make the rest of the world alive with events and stuff. Think that would be pretty fun.

Nintendo Land 2, but make it an online only hub.

SimCity 2013 had a cool idea where each city you and your friends made would create a bigger like state/metropolis where you could visit, trade and what-not between each city, but people bitched about it being always online. For good reason though, because the servers for that game were fuckin horrible and killed that game from ever working.

Last edited:

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
SimCity 2013 had a cool idea where each city you and your friends made would create a bigger like state/metropolis where you could visit, trade and what-not between each city, but people bitched about it being always online. For good reason though, because the servers for that game were fuckin horrible and killed that game from ever working.

This is my fancy. Like in FFXIV where everyone bitches about the limited housing. I understand it, but the alternative is the island sanctuary. People can visit yours but there are too many hurdles. It's not something I can just go see. Loading up the trolley, the boat, plane, whatever to go to another friends island in animal crossing and the like is overly cumbersome.

I love the idea of a "Easley Friends" world. I guess a lot of games have features like this, they just tend to be the world builders that are all about acquiring resources/grinding etc. After 10 years of having an MMO of choice, I just don't see the appeal of minecraft style games. If im gonna mindlessly do something that is basically another job, I might as well do it on the account I've already accrued so much on.