Best Games of this Generation

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I'm planning to write an article on this and would like to have sort of general opinion/debate(?) about the best games of this generation - so far.

1) Super Smash Bros Brawl - One of the bests, if not the best game on the wii. The replay-ability and sheer size of the game puts it as one of the games that will be fun to play, especially with friends, at least until the next smash bros comes out. Also there is a community dedicated to balancing and adjusting the game's characters which I have not had a chance to try yet.

2) Gears of War - This was the first game I bought for the Xbox 360 and was one of the reasons I purchased one. The cover mechanic has become a standard in most shooters because of this game, but few fail to even get close to pulling it off quite as well. The story, the attitude, and the characters - this is totally a man's game.

3) Left 4 Dead - The ultimate co-op experience summarizes this game perfectly. Trying to survive sounds easy enough when you haven't played before, but once you have you realize how the game makes you panic, and when you are the last one alive you realized how hopeless it is. Plus there is nothing like getting punched off a 50 story building by a raging tank.

That's just a few, what others could there be?

Metal Gear Solid 4?
Grand Theft Auto 4?
Best psp game?
Best ds game?

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This is always a touchy subject, because it's so hard to pinpoint the qualities that make a game great. If based on replayability, then you've got good choices. Like you said though, I'd consider MGS4 one of the best games of this gen, but I only played it once and that only lasted about 13 hours.

I guess a good test would be to say if you pick up this game in 5-10 years, will it still be fun? Like Road Rash we played last night, it's about as simple as it gets but I was laughin my ass off.

Anyways, if I had to pick the best game of this gen, I'd probably pick Mass Effect 1 and 2 as a whole, tbh.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is pretty great. It really feels like the perfect combination of SMW and SM64. And I could easily see me playing through this again in 5-10 years.

Smash Bros. I got bored of really quick, but I think that was because I had no one to play it with.

Gears was okay, but I'm not as into shooters as much as other genres, so I didn't enjoy it as much as others.

MGS4 - never played it.

Oblivion = great (but not as good as Morrowind). And I imagine I will not only play this again in a few years, but still find new stuff.

PSP - dunno

DS - Pokemon SS/HG, M&M: Clash of Heroes

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
I'd easily roll with Gears and both Mass Effect games. Re-playability is probably the single most important factor. A game isn't much fun if you're done with it after one go-around. I can play the Mass Effect games over and over because they're two of the best games I've ever played, and the game itself creates a high re-play value. It makes you have/want to come back for more. I can think of a lot of games like that in this gen. Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox. Holy shit, I've probably beaten both of those several times, and I could easily go and play them again. Elder Scrolls. If I had to cut the list short to a few games, it'd take me a while. But I don't even know where the list begins and ends with me.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
20081208.png

20081209.png

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
* Joins: qwqsadda (Ping: 238)
<Logan> I WON MARIO PRATY NEGROES
* Parts: qwqsadda (Normal client exit)