Dragon Age Origins

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Anyone played it yet? I downloaded it and installed it before I left for work today. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tonight. I imagine it'll look like regurgitated garbage on my PC, but if it runs I'll be happy.

Anyway, anyone try it yet?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I was gonna buy it for xbawx, but so many games to play right now.

I'm interested in it though, and I know Andrew has played it so maybe when he gets on here in 2014 he can tell you about it

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I beat this game and thought it was purty good. The whole dragons and warriors motif has really worn out its welcome with me and I still had fun with it. Plus it had a thorough ending, which is a must for WRPGs in my book.

Mysta

Captain Awesome
Aug 10, 2009
I've yet to fully complete it but i've played most of it on PC and really enjoyed it. I'm with Logan though, I'm pretty bored of fantasy atm, though dragons will always have a place in my heart.

Casey

I'M A GAY SON!
Nov 10, 2003
No no no, not you!

Have you even started playing it?

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
They announcin the sequel tomorrow apparently. That's good because next thing they have to announce is MASS EFFECT 3!

shepardheh.jpg

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
"The official Dragon Age 2 press release has some more details on the just-announced sequel. Like BioWare's other recent sequel – the hugely successful Mass Effect 2 – Dragon Age 2 is going for a Q1 release. The press release states "March 2011" which is close to, but not on, the February 1, 2011 date teased in packages of Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening. We've asked EA to comment on the discrepancy.

Also like Mass Effect, Dragon Age 2 is ditching the original's roll-your-own character creation system, complete with unique origin stories for all the different playable races, for a more "cinematic" scripted hero named Hawke. BioWare's Chris Priestley addressed the community on the official forums, stating, "While I do enjoy having fun with our fans, I am not joking about this. The player character is a human (either male or female) with the last name of Hawke. Dragon Age 2 is the story of Hawke." Then he quotes from the press release:

Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke's rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.

So in Dragon Age 2, there will be only one origin story, that of the male or female Hawke, and you won't be importing and playing as your old character. Like Mass Effect, we imagine we'll be tasked with the first name and look of the character, which already has our creative juices moving. How about "Lady Hawke" for you Michelle Pfeiffer fans? Or maybe "Tomclancys Hawke" for the gamers out there. "I'm bad-ass warrior Hawke, and this is my favorite post on the internet."

I like this idea. Part of the appeal of the Mass Effect games to me is that the fully voiced character leads to a more convincing set piece. Rather than have to depend on imagination and role playing, you feel more like you're guiding your character along in a movie of sorts. It's less like you are this person and more like you're an omnipotent being watching over and steering everything said person does.