Huge Force Unleashed Patch

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Lucasarts released a patch for TFU which apparently addresses a lot of issues people, including myself, had with the game. Shamelessly stolen from Penny-Arcade, wall of text a'comin:

Patch specifically addressed Default Text glitch.

I don't know if it's true or not though, since I never got it. Interestingly, that's the only thing that was announced about the patch contents, everything else was described as "general fixes".

Important Improvements I have noticed using my non glitched save on Sith Lord:

Overal impression is Starkiller has had his animations and attacks prioritised and strengthened (getup evasion frames) and enemy glitches and "cheapness" has been reduced.

Still can't get up from a knockdown while standing quickly BUT you have invulnerability frames or evasion frames or something shortly during and after you get up. I got hit by a purge's rocket and flipped up into another one but it passed straight through me.

Enemy damage on certain cheap ass moves has been vastly reduced.
Eg Kazdan's Giant droids stompy thing does a lot less, purge do less.

Targetting has vastly improved. Enemies are prioritised over objects. For example, in situations where the autotarget would pick up an object instead of an enemy close to the object the autotarget pauses on the object for a split second then switches to the enemy. This works on height differences too. Turning into your blind side and grabbing an offscreen enemy is virtually guaranteed if you can see where the shots are coming from.
You have to specifically target objects, when in doubt the targetting system chooses to grip people.

Another example: the targetting prioritised Kazdan's thrown objects. I was able to easily grab shit he was throwing as soon as he lifted it.

Yet another: Lightning autotargetted squishies and Starkiller wouldn't try to electrocute the barrel next to a guy unless I targetted the barrel. He chose to charr delicious flesh instead.

Gripping in general has vastly improved. You have invulnerability or evasion or unfuckablewith frames when in the throwing animation now. I've seen explosions hit him while he's throwing a dude and it doesn't affect him. In addition the analogue triggers seem to affect throwing speed. I was able to throw a container lightly or throw it really hard depending on how much I moved the analogue stick and how fast I let go/depressed.

Throwing/instant throwing is less glitchy, I had only one or two instances where throwing didn't work and they're specific ones normal people won't ever notice. (eg it still sometimes glitches when they have just been shot or you kill them with a sword strike then want to throw them)
Throwing living people is effortless.

Oh and sometimes objects were curving mid air to connect to people. It just seems to try and help you connect hard object with squishy flesh a lot more.

Other stuff:

Graphical improvements. I think maybe textures. I haven't played in a while I could just have bad expectations. Less likely to get that lightsaber glitch when using lightning moves.

Small framerate improvements.

Things seem more shiney and particely I am terrible at what consitutes graphical effects other than textures and like, smoke stuff.

Enemies are less vicious, less inclined to attack off screen and seem to have reduced line of sight.

Various enemy attacks have been....I dunno....detoothed. Player has more priority in general, enemies attacks will be interrupted by your attacks. This is a wonderful change. Grabs have more priority.

AOE splash attacks can be avoided more easily by jumping and have reduced range in general.

Some moves that used to knockdown don't anymore? (Kazdan hit me with a move that used to knockdown, it didn't. His droid did a big fuckoff spin thing and again didn't get knocked down.)

Things like kazdan's big bitch ass dudes are just, I dunno, easier.

Enemies fire off stunning moves less. Purge are less likely to fire rockets from ten zillion miles away repeatedly. Snipers miss more. Kazdan is less of a bitch.

I think you can turn around mid air now, I didn't test this specifically.

When gripping a dude and throwing lightsaber at him after he is dead etc it always works even if you move the guy around. I was able to grip a guy and throw my lightsaber into him while passing him behind a couple of other guys.

Blocking in between strikes is better but not by much. For example, a two hit followed by a position you can block, you can just hold block now it will start blocking sooner.

Blocking is more responsive in general.

The star destroyer sections seems faster but I did that with my glitched save. Tie destroyers were easier to target? Just felt, easier.

In general, playing on sith lord, I cut shit up easier than I used to.

Oh the physics seems a bit better. Enemies have a bit more weight. They don't slide as far, don't bounce as far, don't move as much like balloons and have more friction.

In addition, when you knock them down the ground stab is much more frequent. A lot less likely to "bat" them away, much more likely to stab.

Options screen loading times have been improved. Eg switching to lightsaber screen etc is faster.

However, I have to add, I'm finding it difficult to test properly because dodging, controlling the environment and general ass kicking in this game has become kind of automatic so the only real way I can tell the differences is that I am now virtually untouchable whereas before I would sometimes get hit by things I couldn't control. This is a lot rarer now.