Installed to hard drive

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
So I tried out the new NXE feature and installed Gears 2 to the hard drive. Oh shit I've only got 2.5 gigs left!

Initial impressions: load times are MUCH faster, almost instant, but only when I play by myself; when I played co-op with Dave, they were the same, which I assume is because he hasn't installed the game and it can't let me start playing before him. Makes sense.

I don't think the game itself runs any better. I still get a bit of framerate chugging here and there. Though, it might be my imagination, I think the sniper rifle feels a little smoother.

Overall verdict: worth it if you've got the HD space to spare.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Oh, and it makes your xbox run a LOT quieter.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Oh yeah if you have a 120gig feel free to go crazy with those game installs. Except, I'm told, for Halo 3, which runs worse if you install it.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Some games won't let you install them, such as Crackdown.

Most game installs take somewhere between 5-6.7gb of harddrive space so you don't need to worry if you have 105gb left.

Also, welcome!

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
i installed fable 2 to my hd last night because i was having a problem with my game freezing every 30 or so minutes. i didn't notice any significant decrease in loading time. it actually kinda lagged a little bit. but no freezing! so yay

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Make sure your disc is clean though. My Rock Band disc is scratched, and this can mess up the install I suspect. Instead of the disc trying to read the info, it must get written on the harddrive incorrectly and you instantly get a DRE.

Gears 2 worked great installed for me tho.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Forza 2 kept saying the disc had an error and I needed to clean it when I installed it. After that it worked fine. I would hope it wouldn't incorrectly install stuff, but who knows.

And yea the disc has to be in the drive to play the games

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I got it because its only like $20, and is a great game. I recommend it, even though I'm not a big fan of racing games

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Oblivion's loadtimes were prolly a little over half as long as before with the game installed. I haven't tried any others yet.