Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Anyone else playing / planning to play this? I've only played a couple of hours but it seems pretty cool. It's a mix of Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham games, set in the Lord of the Rings universe, only with a really cool AI nemesis system which sets it apart from any other open-world action game. It doesn't really matter whether you like the movies or not, this isn't really related to them other than being set in the same world. You can treat it like any other medieval fantasy-type game in that respect.

This video shows off the nemesis system:

I've only played for a few hours but I already had some pretty funny/cool encounters with an orc captain. He killed me a few times, I killed him a few times. I think he's dead for good now though.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I'm playing it on PC right now and loving it. The nemesis system is really what makes the game, if you take that away it would be a solid but pretty standard Assassins style open world game. The combat I find very fluid and forgiving. It's very Arkham style action. But yeah man, that nemesis system makes for some great scenarios. I think we will see some variant of this in all major open world games going forward. This game does everything else right too though (so far anyway, I'm only a few hours in). The visuals are amazing (even on what I would consider a mid-low range gaming desktop I'm able to run with most settings on high, very well optimized for PC). I would say the weakest point of the game so far is the story, which I'm totally okay with because killing orcs is so much fun.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Oh yeah, to anyone who is considering getting it: don't buy it on PS3 or X360. Those versions don't have the nemesis system. Get it on PC/PS4/XB1.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
So I've finished the main story, and am now gonna do 100% of the side stuff. Verdict on the game: 9.5/10

The main story was probably the weakest part, although as someone who is fascinated with the deeper parts of Tolkien lore, I appreciate some of the stuff they did here. But some of it seemed like a pointless tie-in with the films. Look, Gollum is here! For no real reason. But it was cool to see the origins of the One Ring, and Sauron being something other than a massive dude in spiky armor, and other such things.

The nemesis system only gets better as the game goes on and you gain the ability to dominate the minds of orcs, making them fight for you until they die. It's so much fun to slowly work up the orc chain of command, issuing death threats, branding various captains and eventually getting all the warchiefs on your side. The combat does get too easy towards the end, but it's so much fun to just brutalize hundreds of enemies.

Easily the best game I've played of 2014. Well, not EASILY, I mean Infamous Second Son was amazing too. But I really really recommend it, even if you don't give a shit about Lord of the Rings. If you've ever enjoyed Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham ___, or really any open world game at all, you will like this.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Not a big fan of LOTR and stuff, but I hear game is really good. I'll probably pick it up when its in a Steam sale.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Note, we at Zelda Xtreme do not officially endorse software piracy

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
2055-ohlawd.jpg

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Nor do we endorse...whatever the fuck that is

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Man, I seriously fucking love the music when you end up fighting a Warchief. Just how it sounds like a thousand voices chanting their names. It's amazing.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Almost got platinum trophy on this. Just a few more cheevos and I'm done.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Aaaaaand platinum.

And my sig still ain't updating :(

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Hopefully I will have a LOT more free time here in a week or so and can get that fixed right up.