New PS3 Features

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
http://pspupdates.qj.net/

PS3 Features Revealed, PSP Well Cared

Jak_The_Man, An active member from US PlayStation forums, has posted a short article ( http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...ssage.id=249598&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 ) after reading the latest PlayStation Magazine. The information contained is very interesting...

- PS3 will have online service that goes beyond Xbox live

- PS3 will be a DVR (Digital Video Recorder)

- It will be able to connect with the PSP

- There are a lot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (a lot more then what people know about)

- The final PS3 dev kit is a lot faster than they thought (according to the developer)

- The PS3 will have an iTunes type service to let you download Hi-Def movies, music, etc

- The PS3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further

- PS3 will serve as a location free player for the PSP, means you can watch the DVDs that you have in your PS3 on your PSP (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.

- PS3 will be able to send its files straight to the PSP from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities

- Firmware updates will add more functionality, much like with the PSP

- The Blu-ray Player functionality doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of a lot of the stuff the PS3 will need to do to be able to read the disks

- Fall release date for PS3, no release date for online service, but expected to launch with the system

- All these new features makes a PSP worth buying together with a PS3. ;-)

As you can see, there are quite some strange icons weve never seen before in the photo of the PSP, a glimpse of the next firmware?

911_ps3_features_0204.jpg

This scan, as noted in the bottom left hand corner, discusses the CES (Consumer Electronics Show), held the beginning of last month. Sony definitely plans to keep updating their precious PSP and will surely use it to their advantage with the release of the PlayStation 3, interacting with it any way they seem fit. We are definitely interested to see what the future holds for the powerful handheld, and only hope that Sony will not quash any ability to play homebrew on a product we payed a good amount of money to do with as we please.

Link182

The Assman
Nov 10, 2003
The only thing I don't like about the PS3 is the Blu-ray discs. Those things are DRM'd out the ass.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Haven't they been promising a comprehensive online network better than live for about two years now??

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I don't think they could do a live type network for PS2 by the time they released the network adapter for it, although I have been hearing they've been working on the network for PS3 ever since they finished the network adapter for PS2.

While I don't really care that much about live or anything like it - I can get most of live's thing on a PC and it's free, and since there really aren't that many games that come out for consoles that doesn't come out for PC's as well. Probably thanks in part on EA trying to monopolize and gain control of every 3rd party maker..

True, Sony has a history of promising alot of crap before launch and never delivers, but then again so has Nintendo/Sega/etc. Everyone always list of a bunch of hardware devices that never see the light of day. I'm sure Sony only released the above, to help keep people that were on the edge of waiting for ps3 or buying xbox360 now to wait. IMO, Microsoft released the XBox360 way too soon, but time will tell.

The thing that has me most interested is how it can send things to the PSP anywhere in the world. I'm not sure how the hell that would work, unless the PS3 remains on all the time, or the psp is somehow allowed to wake the system up and power it back down on the fly. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what happens. :3

Last edited:
D

Don Francisco

IMO, the best thing about the 360's all-in-one-entertainment-center (which is already blowing my mind) is that I know the PS3's is going to have to blow it out of the water. The 360 launched a year earlier and got a head start on the next-gen market share but now Sony has ample time to devise shit that will completely murder it. I for one absolutely cannot wait to see what Sony is cooking.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
they shouldve including something about them reworking their controller

...but...

i r poor.

ps3 is expensive.

there4, i get no ps3.

i don't really want one either, so whatev.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I heard the controller wasn't bad actually, just looks out of porportion when you don't have anything to compare it too. Regardless, I'm sure ps2 controllers will work with it, although they aren't wireless. :(

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
That person with the PSP in the picture downloaded a movie called The Fag. What a fag.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Fairly sure that says fog.

PS3 = MGS4, Ace Combat, DMC4. I have no choice but to get one, but apparently DMC might be going multi-platform anyway. Achievements plzthx.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
The fog is a terrible movie anyways, and I hope Sony is smart enough to include a HD and take the pain of selling it for cheap. I think it's supposed to be $400 too? With all that crap I'd be surprised if it was $400 though.

D

Don Francisco

I bet Sony would be willing to take the price hit in order to stay competitive in the market.

"PS3 = MGS4, Ace Combat, DMC4. I have no choice but to get one, but apparently DMC might be going multi-platform anyway."

Fool! How could you not mention Sony's greatest asset: Square-Enix?

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Cause I haven't cared about anything they've done since FFX. Don't care about FFXII.