NEXT GENERATION GAMES AND SHIT

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
"Okay, you guys in the comments were right. I'm sitting back in my hotel after day two - snuck out an hour early to make a post, get pics up, because i'm heading to the NCSoft party and the Sony party - and if i come back sober enough to post, i've done something wrong.

But enough about me - lets get onto the games.

Day 2, for me, was filled with 360 and Blizzard and Harmonix. I hit a few other quick things, but both those took up most of my day. So heres the quick rundown:

Halo 3 - quick trailer now online - and yes - i am here, and yes i pay attention - but not only is there no stand up or poster for it, the trailer can only be seen inside e3 if you get invited to the room they are showing it. Gears of war is the same. those of you bitching that i didn't know, obviously ahve never been to E3. The good side of being here? I get to play the shit. The good side of being home? Getting the stuff IGN and 1up gets because they are wayyyyy bigger then FLH. So yeah - keep me informed on how that stuff looks :(

And yes, fable 2 is out there. Goddammit. I wanted to see that too. No chance of that news from me. Sorry.

But, there were a few things I did get a chance to play, and see - so here is the list, in full for today.

First off, 360 games. Hitman: blood money is my top pick here for the soon to be released crowd. If you're a fan of Hitman, you'll love the changes they've made, and if you're not....you should be. The graphics are great, the ranking system is well done, and the new ways to kill are extraordinary.

Saint's Row is one i know you ninjas are gonna want to get your hands on. Even though the next GTA was announced to be exclusive to the 360, that doesn't mean it'll retain it's title for it's own greatness. Saint's Row may unseat GTA. It's not only prettier, but the simple fact they put this much time into customization of your character shows dedication. With enough time in the game, you can pretty much make you character look however you want. It's pretty cool to see - but the driving is kinda wonky. Beware for now, but be looking out for it.

Dead Rising is another title sure to peak your interest - set in a mall infested with zombies, you blast your way out. Sounds like a great time, but sadly it's not implemented well. don't get too excited.

Played more of Sonic, this time on the 360. The controls suck, it's crappy to play, and amazingly, the saving grace is NOT playing Sonic, but instead Silver Sonic or some shit. He has telekinetic abilities. Pretty cool.

As for Gamecube titles - the two I've seen/played are Super Paper Mario. Basically, Paper Mario action game. A must buy. And Super Monkey Ball Adventure. If you're a Baller, get ready for a shitload more levels, and even adventure areas.

Got to see Assasins Creed for the PS3 played. It's gorgeous, it's cool, and i finally ahve my first must have app for the PS3. Yeah, MGS4 looks gorgeous, but normal people can't see it played yet.

On the cool side, i got to get into see Blizzard today - and sorry all you Diablo guys, but not a shred of news, and they wouldn't admit to anything. Instead, it was about the new expansion - The Burning Crusade for World of Warcraft. Flying mounts, new races, new areas, and a whole new continent. It's gorgeous, and the Tier 3 class sets...i'll just say i REALLY want me warlock to hit 70 SOON. I ahve all kinds of pictures to put up - none exclusive sadly, but be ready for those this weekend.

Any Guitar Hero fans in the house? Hopefully, because i got a sit down interview with the Producer of Guitar Hero, and it was really grat to hear about new features - Practice Mode, Head to Head, Co-Op, everything. Great guy, great game - be ready for that later this weekend too.

So, for the rest of your questions:

No Res 5 news to be seen. Closed door stuff? possibly, but nobody at the comapny to confirm.

Sorry Pnevma, but he's right - GTA is now a 360 brand - at least as of this morning. Some bigwigs for sony were out smoking and they were bitching about it with me. They may be wrong, but with how they were bitching, i'd bet against it.

And finals on the systems:

Graphics power: PS3 is the winner - but not by the wide margin everyone was expecting. In fact, the rumor is there is a 360 game behind closed doors that puts the 360 in first place. so tie there - and the Wii is gamcube.

Price: PS3 has two price points - 500 for the 20 gig ahrddrive, 600 for the 80 gig, and extra ports, and hdmi in/out, and a BUNCH of other shit. Basically, it's 600 bucks. Wii will sit somewhere around 200 - 50 bucks either way.

Controllers: The Wii - well, you'll that in the video this weekend. The PS3 controller is basically the Dualshock 2 with a 6 direction gyro in it. So if you move it up, down, right left, or rotate it, it can sense that. Cool stuff - but TOTALLY stolen from the Wii.

Internet: Speaking of stealing, the PS3 online service is essentially Xbox Live. Is that good or bad? i can't tell yet. The Wii will have it's own, as yet unnamed

Final question i got was about the new MK, but i'll be playing the shit out of it tomorrow, so be waiting for that then :)

D-FENS out"

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Article

"Speaking at a special Nintendo developer event, Miyamoto has just unveiled Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii. Newcomers include: Pit (Kid Icarus), Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and ... Snake!

During E3 Last year, Miyamoto approached Masahiro Sakurai, the series creator and now independent developer, insisting that he make a new Smash Bros. To make it happen, Nintendo put together a team to assist Sakurai. The result is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the first Wii titles to avoid motion-controlled attacks.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be fully compatible with the GameCube controller. Sakurai's reasoning is simple. He doesn't want to alienate gamers that prefer the traditional gamepad.

The game will feature online multiplayer. Singel-player mode will see some changes, but Sakurai has declined to elaborate. Miyamoto did say (via translator) that we can expect "a very robust" single-player mode.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl will not be a launch title. Sakurai has confirmed a 2007 release.

Kojima had begged Sakurai to inlcude snake in the GameCube version of Smash Bros., but since it the middle of the development cycle, it was too late to add the character. When Brawl became a realirt, Sakurai contacted Kojima and the decision was made to include Snake. Solid Snake will use explosives ... and a cardboard box.

Snake is the only thrid party character confirmed for Brawl."

D

Don Francisco

I've been wondering how Smash Bros. Brawl is going to work using the Wii controller. I can't imagine how they could incorporate the motion control effectively.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
They aren't. It's used with a gamecube controller. There might be the option to use it with a wii though.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
We need to have mega XF Wii online fests, except Travis is too poor :(

D

Don Francisco

"The result is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the first Wii titles to avoid motion-controlled attacks."

Maybe I'm just stupid but I don't understand what they mean when they say the title will "avoid motion-controlled attacks."

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
it means moving the controller itself won't do anything- just buttons have effect on the game.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
D-FENS article #2

"So, E3 has come and gone, and what do I think? Honestly - Nothing is impressive except the Wii. Sorry gamers galore, but it's the truth. While the press conference were apparently won by Microsoft, the game floor was OBVIOUSLY won only by nintendo. Nothing else had the Five and a Half hour wait, nothing else got the buzz, and honestly - the PS3 and 360 booths were not packed. In comparioson, they were empty.

It basically goes with what i realized today - this E3 was not so much about games to come, but instead innovation to come. Very little - except the Wii - made me excitied for the direction games are going. The 360 games they showed were alright, the PS3 games they showed were cool - don't get me wrong. but last year everything had a 'holy shit' feel to it. Seeing the PS3 in action, playing on the 360, and seeing the direction Nintendo wanted to go, it was exciting. But this year, all but a handful of games made me realize that we are at the beginning of a net-gen era. Because of that, we cannot expcet much. Examples?

Sony ahs not finalized the hardware of the ps3, so dev teams don't really know what they are working with. Nothing was gorgeous, but there is a reason. 360 games were lackluster overall, but not because of the game selection, but because the good games were shown behind closed doors.

The winner in the end? The Wii won. On the floor, the average guy at the show could experience it. Sony and Microsoft have this elitist attitidue regarding who gets to see their shit, and this year it finally hurt them. Everyone got to play the Wii, nobody got to see Mass Effect, MGS4 playtime, or anything. It sucked, and because of that, I don't report on it.

So, in final, I would ahve to say I am beginning to agree with the minor publishers. NcSoft and the life - they lbeieve that E3 should be a public event, and i could not agree more. There is no reason that they need to be so elitist and stupid. Nothingt except the Wii surprised me this year, and I blame that directly on Microsoft and Sony. They have cool shit to show, but as you saw, I didn't even know it existed.

Will have pics when i get back - gotta get back to drinking."

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Resident Evil 5

"Your local game ninja D-FENS jumping in for some quick shit. I got about 100 emails asking me to find stuff on Resident Evil 5 - what system is would be on, when it would be out - etc. Sadly, at E3 they had nothing official. Well, I decided to do some hunting:

Yup. Confirmed for the Wii. Sorry all you Nintendo haters - time to get your Wii Love in gear. The article is from a asian newsmagazine. Why does it says Biohazard? that's the name of the Rez Evil series everywhere BUT north america. Pretty cool stuff...."

rez5.jpg

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
necropost here, but it kinda ticks me off how people still refer to ps3/360/wii as 'next-gen consoles'

they arent next gen anymore! they are current gen! xbox/ps2/gcn are old now!

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
remember when he whined about a 360, then bought one and played it like twice?

what a doofus.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
lol

"doa4 sucks"

"oblivion is good! i played it for 20 minutes"

Bronson

I'll need a badge.
Nov 10, 2003
like he had time to play it.

you know with all the studying.

and crying because he was an awful person.