REAL Role Playing Games

Kalnaur

Gibdo
Nov 10, 2003
What do you consider to be true roleplaying?  Final Fantasy? D&D?  MMORPGs?  and why?

I think that the general sense of community in both D&D and MMORPGs are more what RPGs are all about.  the newest FF, FFXI is the only Final Fantasy game I think fits into the "real" RP catagory.

What do you guy's think?

Obligatory bunny: :bunny:

jr27430

:)
Nov 10, 2003
I don't really know for sure D&D is real RPG they use books,paper, and dices. But in video game point of veiw. I think Final Fantasy games are. Because its allmost D&D. Because you have gather HP points and spells like D&D old school. I don't know. Iam dumb don't mind me.:)

Ultima9999

lolz mog
Nov 10, 2003
I really don't like the term 'real' RPG. Is it necessary to sanctify pen and paper role-playing games?

Mitch

The Big Dog
Sep 13, 2007
everythiong you have listed up there is a role playing game, due to the fact that you are playing the role of another person

but i have played some pen and paper rpgs, and they can be a little more real, depending on the GM

but I quit playing them because i have no one to game with and it is a waste of time for me because no one ever took it serious

Kalnaur

Gibdo
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by Havoc
but I quit playing them because i have no one to game with and it is a waste of time for me because no one ever took it serious

1) Get Neverwinter Nights.

2) It isn't supposed to be serious.  (Serious Pen & Paper RPGrs scare me.)

And Ultima, what I meant by real was realistic, in terms of time.  For that, turn based games (even Pen & Paper) are less "real" than some of the MMORPGs.  Yet what I meant as a whole was "which RPG type feels the most real to you, which one imerses you in the game, and Why?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.  Obligatory bunny: :bunny:

Mitch

The Big Dog
Sep 13, 2007
Originally posted by Kalnaur
It isn't supposed to be serious.  (Serious Pen & Paper RPGrs scare me.)
you have no idea what i meant when I said that, did you?

B

belle

Enough bickering.
At the coffee shop yesterday, there was a table of hardcore D&D players. I couldn't finish my coffee... I had to leave so I could freely laugh my ass off.

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
I didn't see this before for some reason. I already stated my case in the shoutbox.

Casey

I'M A GAY SON!
Nov 10, 2003
OH MY GOSH belle, I palindrome I, Do you listen to They Might Be Giants?

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
I've thought about it. All the reviews I've seen have been bad. Mostly about the bad graphics and the fustrating typing problem. I used to use RM2K for the computer. It was pretty cool. I'm thinking of downloading it again. I lost it somewhere when I rebooted. They Might Be Giants is pretty cool.

happytvrk

honestly dishonest
Jan 6, 2004
Alot of people can't play Neverwinter nights.

The few times I've played DnD I've enjoyed it, though it's all been online and we never completed the campaigns, which sucked. I'd like to play another round.

I dunno. I consider alot of games to be RPGs...

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
I be thoughs bout it. I'll probably look into it more when I get bored of KOTOR.

aaron

Oct 8, 2006
Pencil and paper is a whole lot better if you can manage to find a decent GM. I found that D&D is really complex and confusing at first. It helps if you know someone who knows stuff. Even with help you have to constantly flip through the books to figure out stuff. If you can get past the complex part then it's really fun. Computer games like Icewind Dale or Baulder's Gate are semi-accurate replicas of D&D.
KOTOR is sorta based on the D20 D&D rip-off. It's really fun non the less. I really want to play the D20 Star Wars roleplaying game. It looked really awesome, but Mitch decided to be a bitch and didn't want to try it out.