Setting Up a StreetPass Relay at Home

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
So since I never street pass anyone ever, I looked into doing this last night, and it worked GREAT. Woke up and I had almost 50 street passes in about 8 hours.

OK, so most of us should know the trick to making our routers (or hotspots) Nintendo Zones, but for the unenlightened you set the SSID to a known Nintendo Zone SSID and set the security to disabled or off. The easiest SSID to use is

attwifi

so set you're SSID to this with security off. If you're concerned about leaving you're security here's little rough tutorial I wrote to Furubashi about how to do this with security on your network so you're not wide open. It's far more stubborn recognizing the Nintendo Zone then just leaving you're router open for me anyways.

Next you need to spoof you Wireless LAN MAC. Your mileage may vary with this and I don't know every way to do this, but I'll tell you how I did it and it works.

I have a DD-WRT firmware flashed router. Once I've setup my Nintendo Zone, I click on the Setup Tab. The I click on the MAC Address Clone Tab. In the new screen click Enable under MAC Clone. You'll be given 2 MAC addresses. One for your router (Clone WAN MAC) and for your Wireless LAN (Clone Wireless MAC). Change your Clone Wireless MAC (ignore Clone WAN MAC) to the following MAC address:

4E:53:50:4F:4F:46

[Source]

Basically, you just need a spare wireless router/access point that you can install dd-wrt on. Once you've uploaded the dd-wrt firmware to your router, change the access point's SSID to "attwifi" and go to Setup > MAC Address Clone tab and change the Clone Wireless MAC field to "4E:53:50:4F:4F:46". No security should be set on your wireless access point, which might be a problem for some, but there is a guide up above on what to do if you need it.

If it works, then on your 3DS you should see an "i" next to your wifi connection, and you should be able to load the Nintendo Zone app. If so, you are done. Just leave your 3DS closed and watch the street passes pour in.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
So I was kind of annoyed that Streetpass limits you to X amount of passes for X amount of hours. I found a script online that lets you get them way faster (I think it is every 20-30 minutes).

Go in your DD-WRT setup and go to the Administration tab and click on the Commands subtab. In the "Commands" box, put the following and hit "Run Commands":

wget -O /tmp/nzone.sh http://goo.gl/39fq1n; chmod +x /tmp/nzone.sh; /tmp/nzone.sh

Once that is done, I clicked "Save Startup" but I'm not sure if you have too.

Anyways, what this does is change the cycle the MAC address every few minutes to allow you to bypass the time limit on how many Street Passes you can get.