THE WORLD IS GONNA END

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
old/10

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm Go wild reading about end of the world theories including the Mayan 2012 one. Did you know that what's gonna happen on that day has already happened six times when humans walked the Earth? So, yeah, I guess I'll still probably be alive come 2013.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Yeh, but the oil one has a point. Oil has to eventually run out, and then what?

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
All I know is I'll be ready with my shotgun.

I don't know what we're gonna do after oil. I suppose nuclear for powering homes and cities and stuff, and they'd better think of something quickly for cars and whatnot.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Too bad, since:

Nuclear energy requires uranium, which is problematic because as David Petch explains in his article "Peak Oil and You", even in the most optimistic scenarios, uranium will soon be in short supply. Uranium supply issues aside, nuclear energy (like solar and wind) is not an economically or energetically feasible transportation fuel. Put simply, you can't power your car with a nuclear reactor in the trunk.

<i>Figure 2 (shown in original article) illustrates the different projections of uranium depletion, pending an increase in annual consumption rates of 3%, 5% or 8%. Currently, uranium production falls incredibly short of the demand. As oil resources become scarce, uranium will have more pressure put upon it as a resource. All three different scenarios have a similar course until around 2013, where they part trails. By 2020, there is a serious uranium shortage.</i>

Even if these problems are assumed away, a large scale switch over to nuclear power is still not going to do all that much to solve our problems due to the cost and time frames involved in the of construction of nuclear power plants. s. It would take 10,000 of the largest nuclear power plants to produce the energy we get from fossil fuels. At $3-5 billion per plant, it's not long before we're talking about "real money" - especially since the $3-5 billion doesn't even include the cost of decommissioning old reactors, converting the nuclear generated energy into a fuel source appropriate for cars, boats, trucks, airplanes, and the not-so-minor problem of handling nuclear waste.

Last edited:

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Can't power my car with a nuclear reactor in the trunk? THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK.

Yeah so I didn't read the article. I don't like thinking about the undoubtedly bleak and cruel future ahead for humanity :(

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Actually, we had a guy come in and said the only reason that we aren't using alternate forms is because there isn't a reason to yet, and the Oil Company is too powerful and big to lose itself. When the Hurricanes shot prices into the $4-$5 he said that made him happy, because then we were close to switching the major energy unit. He said if prices drop back down to the $1 range then we aren't going to see it happen for a long time.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
It's not like we can just pull another alternate power supply from out our ass at any given time. Things like that takes decades of research.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Within the next nine or so years, PEI will be able to be almost entirely powered by wind energy. And theres more then a few people around here that are "off the grid", and use wind and solar energy entirely in their homes, and wood for heat.

We often talked of using wind energy, as we are in a perfect location to do so.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
The problem with wind and solar energy is it lacks power, and only works during certain conditions. To build these things you need oil as well.

Last edited:

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
In PEI the wind conditions are good enough to power the windmills over 85% of the time, which I believe is around 15-18km/h or so. I agree, though, that solar power isn't great though. But if combined with wind, its pretty nifty.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
But even still, pretty much everything else is made with oil at some point. Microchips that you can find in pretty much every electronic piece of equipment today requires oil to make. Cars require oil to make. Even the food we eat require oil whether it comes from pestacides or to make ingredients. Without oil, I can say we are officially fucked.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
But how can that happen? What we stop making cars? We stop using cars? We stop building or advancing? That won't ever happen, as we are far too dependant on Oil, as is the rest of the world. Even if we could, it's probably a little too late, as the middle east is the only place where they can still reliably get oil and it's expected to wind down in the coming years.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Geothermal, Wind, Solar, Hydro, Electric. we have lots of energy sources. At niagra falls we could have hyrdo electric. In Canada like SAB said, wind.

In the middle of the US, statistically, if both wind and solar are used together, that should be enough to power the center, because it's already been confirmed that around the Kansas area it was the potential.

Like I said, a man that started his own company and invested in...I think it was called micro or nano technology, and it's a bunch of scientists brainstorming how to use alternate forms of energy. He said something really important, but I can't remember it.

Geothermal energy just isn't efficient enough, it costs to much to use and gives too little. Maybe sometime in the future.

And we wouldn't be pulling it right out of our ass, it's already being done. Barely, but at least we know how to do it. It's understood, and done a little bit. Like in Canada. Plus, hydro and electric cars.

The Oil Company is like the Drug Company, rich and powerful. Revenue. Unlike the drug company, the oil company's days are numbered no matter what.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I wouldn't say the oil company's days are numbered. The biggest company here (Irving, dunno if its around in the US or not) is also the one that is investing the most in wind energy around here.