E3 2016 Thread

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
As tradition goes, we need an E3 discussion thread.

Microsoft: June 13, 9:30AM PT / 12:30PM ET
Sony: June 13, 6PM PT / 9PM ET
Nintendo: June 14, 9:00AM PT / 12:00PM ET

Is there anything to be excited about this year for anyone? Sony and Microsoft are going to have more details on their upgraded consoles, Nintendo is going to be Zelda mostly which is great - but would have loved to see the NX.

Is there any games you want to see?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Microsoft's just started and we immediately say TRADAGEY.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
1) Unless it's another KOTOR game, nobody gives a shit about shitty Star Wars games.

2) LOL at anyone getting excited about Battlefield

3) TitanFall was cool for, what, a week? Don't care about a second one.

4) Mass Effect: Andromeda is still a long way away. :(

5) Fucking Quake. :woo:

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Microsoft's conference pretty much consisted of heres a new slimmer $300 xbox.

Heres all the AAA titles that are coming to windows anyways, so why buy an xbox.

And this team
xbox2016.jpg

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
and finished on a note to never buy the xbox slim because a more powerful xbox one coming next year.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I'm, uh, not sure how I feel about the Sony one.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Sony blew me away. I want almost all of those games, and PS4 seems like a great entrypoint to VR.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I wonder how VR does with someone like me who gets easily motion sick. I'm not sure if I would invest that much money into console VR since it seems like it could get phased out if Sony didn't support it (I.E. Move/Kinect). I think PC VR is probably the better investment even if it is more expensive, but either way I'll probably hold off until the tech gets better/cheaper.

I'm still confused about the Resident Evil 7 and Death Stranding trailers.

That Detroit game looks like it could be really funny, so I'll probably pick it up.

Days Gone felt like it was gonna be The Last of Us 2. Demo they showed was kinda eh.

COD, lols.

The Last Guardian is coming, finally.

Horizon looks pretty good.

After sleeping on it, I think the conference was pretty good - not nearly as great as last year, but still pretty good.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
As a huge Resident Evil fanboy, I'm still salty what Capcom has done to the franchise. But RE 7 looks really, really interesting. As in, I don't know what the hell to think. I'm interested though. Same with Death Stranding. Kojima always delivers though.

Days Gone will be great. Combining The Last of Us with an open, Fallout/Skyrim-esque setting will be awesome.

Overall, it's been an impressive slew of games being thrown out. It's keeping my attention than it has in recent memory.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, even if I get a PS4 in the near future I will wait on VR until there is a solid lineup. COD was the only thing I remember seeing and not being interested in, along with some of the VR stuff and I guess Crash in Skylanders. I really hope that Spiderman game works out, been a long time since there was a good one.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
How many Spiderman games have there been? I can only remember the one on N64, and it was fun.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Zelda: Breath of the Wild, eh?

And voice acting? At least some.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
JESUS CHRIST 30 MINUTES OF POKEMANS THAT LOOK THE SAME AS ALL OLD POKEMANS.

Obligatory classic image.

miyamotozelda.png

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Sweet King of Kings, a new Zelda just launched this E3 into BONE ZONE category.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Copyin from the interwebs:

What we know from the Treehouse gameplay:
  • Weapons break
  • Armor (I bet the green tunic will be a legendary, endgame, piece of equipment)
  • No hearts to pick up. Healing is done via food.
  • You can mark enemies similar to MGSV (and see their health)
  • Items are pick ups just like Weapons, e.g. enemies that use bows drop them for you to use (until they break or you discard them to make space)
  • Some weapons have special maneuvers e.g. spiked bows have melee attacks
  • Fire Arrows are simple pick ups (ammo)
  • You have to dress up according to weather. Without a coat in cold weather you will take damage
  • You can use your shield as a snowboard
  • Infinite bombs, but they have a cooldown
  • You can climb EVERYTHING as long as you have enough Stamina or the surface is not flat & smooth
  • Stealth system
  • More aggressive enemy AI in groups
  • Some enemies need to gear up first when they see you (e.g. they are resting and don't have their weapons at hand) so you could steal those first to leave them unarmed
  • Crafting
  • Physics (euphoria engine even?) and physics based puzzles
  • Heard (but not seen) that wind affects your arrows on long rage
  • Magnet is a big Component of the game using Gyro aiming. Think of it like the graviton: pick up stuff, pull it to you or smash it into enemies
  • Amiibos summon helpers. The Wolf Link amiibo summons an AI Wolf-Link companion.
  • Rafting. You can get on boats and even use the Deku leaf (that you find randomly at trees) to boost the sail.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
also from the interweb:

Some awesome .webm's showing things the trailer didn't:

Fun with wind and fire: https://gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel
Bombs and sliding: https://gfycat.com/AnguishedPrestigiousAntelopegroundsquirrel
Physics, time stop and shenanigans: https://gfycat.com/SaneHatefulAlaskajingle
SnowShieldboarding and tricks: https://gfycat.com/GiftedSelfreliantHarrier
Bow bullet time and updraft styling: https://gfycat.com/PositiveDefiantKangaroo
(excuse the poor quality, found this one): More shieldboarding + gliding: https://gfycat.com/DirectKlutzyGodwit
Bill has an idea: https://gfycat.com/KeyShyBetafish

Honestly guys, if you thought the trailer was good, you should've been watching the Treehouse stream. I've gone from "This game looks good" to "I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW!", no joke. They've shown amazing things.

edit: Cool screengrab giving a bit of an impression on the sheer size of this game:http://i.imgur.com/MjNUG6u.jpg - If you've watched Treehouse today - all the things they've done and seen were in that uncovered area. Then they zoomed out to show just how much there actually is, it was but a tiny area of the whole.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
If for some reason you want to ignore the story in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it looks like you’ll be able to do just that. According to producer Eiji Aonuma, players will have the option of directly heading to the final boss of the open-world game from the beginning. He also stressed that he didn’t view this method as an ideal approach, though speedrunners would probably take advantage of it nonetheless.

“Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles,” Aonuma said. “Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that’s an option totally up to the user.

“Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there’s two possibilities. Either they’re a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that’s a little bit crazy. But it’s not impossible. I created the game like that. Maybe it might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first.”

Well that's interesting.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Well that's interesting.

Wow. That's interesting. I can't imagine playing OoT and being able to run across Hyrule Field and heading straight to Ganondorf -- assuming you had all the tools you needed to beat him already (which apparently you do in Breath of the Wild).