Figure out the story behind this picture

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
2004-tsunami.jpg

This is taken right before the 2004 Tsunami strikes Ao Nang, Thailand. You know, the one that killed 200,000+ people.

Other than that, I can't figure out what the fuck is going on here.

HELP ME OUT

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
[video=youtube;e9vrfEoc8_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g[/video]

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
See those kids in the pink shirts? They're actually Jedi, and they're going to use the force to stop the waves.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
I have to say the theories so far are off.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
A really fat guy on the other side of those trees had taco bell last night.

Barbs

Biri
Mar 5, 2011
It's my mom on the other side of those trees, freaking out because someone took the last god damned cup of fucking coffee without making another christly pot.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
My guy just sent me a text saying he left some in our flower garden, under the hosta.

Barbs

Biri
Mar 5, 2011
Damn. That is some serious good-service/subterfuge. My guy made an exception for me and let me visit his house, in part because his scary dog loved me. Unfortunately, he rarely had anything better than schwag.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
According to the article, this was the second wave. After the first one struck these guys came down to see what the aftermath was like.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Wasn't the second wave the bigger one lol

GOOGLED! During the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, the second wave was the largest

So what the fuck. Are they all dead or WHAT? How did they get that picture?! How was it or the camera not ruined?!

Edit: Looks like they edit that paragraph in after I read the article.

Wait, he's not dead now? How can that possibly be? Well, this photo was taken in Ao Nang, Thailand, and somewhere behind that explosion of water, there is a wall serving as a breakwater. The pictured wave is actually the second one to hit Ao Nang -- the first was so destructive and dramatic, that after it was over, all of these people wandered down to the shore to gawk at the aftermath. That's when the second, bigger wave hit them right in their rubbernecking faces...and killed precisely none of them. Suck it, Darwin.

scrappy

Floormaster
Mar 9, 2011
that whole paragraph about the lightning picture was awesome.

"Too often, science boils down to subtle effects, microscopic results, and careful balances of forces and chemicals. But every once in a while, science boils down to "Fuck that thing, hit it with a missile." And every once in a while, the Fuck-It Missile works. The Fuck-It Missile works like goddamn crazy."