Final Fantasy XVI

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I'm currently on baby watch so I haven't been able to tear into it big big time but I'm really enjoying it. It's like playing a final fantasy game of yore. It's very straightforward, gear progression seems to be an afterthought, it's pretty damned linear. The frame rate is god awful as well.

However, game is definitely beautiful. The gameplay is just deep enough to be rewarding. Clive and Cid are my bros. The music is fantastic. It's natively recorded in English so it doesn't have that weird dubbed uncanny feeling all FF games since X has had.

Bottom line: After FFX, you basically have two schools. The Nomura anime final fantasies with belts and buckles and futuristic settings and contrived plots.

Or the glorious Yoshi P FF which more closely resembles classic FF.

I'm maybe halfway through but I enjoy it.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Also gets a plus .5 on the score cause a lot of time my boy Clive when a fight end goes ITSSSS OVVVVAAA

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
I really like it. Fun battle system, fun characters that you can actually like, and an awesome world that's fun to explore and full of RPG tropes. Music is also outstanding. Previous few games really stumbled out the gate, but XVI nails it.

It does a good job of staying true to the FF roots and themes of the entire series, but it's its own game and redefines a lot of aspects of FF. This should really be a bigger focus in the future. FF doesn't need to be bound by a single idea or system

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
Saw a headline saying they've confirmed 3M+ in sales so far. Would be interested in seeing how it fares compared to previous titles.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Episode 18 GIF by The Simpsons

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Refuse to buy a PS5. PC version WHEN
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

I beat this game a couple weeks ago, was a good game. The first 70 percent is vastly superior to the last 30 percent though, paced poorly. Feels more like a classic final fantasy game, but also feels a bit linear and bare bones at time. Would still recommend a playthrough tho

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

I beat this game a couple weeks ago, was a good game. The first 70 percent is vastly superior to the last 30 percent though, paced poorly. Feels more like a classic final fantasy game, but also feels a bit linear and bare bones at time. Would still recommend a playthrough tho
i lied arnold GIF

FF7 rebirth broke me. Shame on me. So continues another PS console I own with like 5 games.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Also game was really good. Easily my favorite mainline FF since X. I would probably put it at #5 of my favorite FFs.

FINALLY A GOOD FINAL FANTASY.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I want next FF mmo to have FF16 gameplay. Please Yoshi P