Fu Pluto lolz

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Pluto has been demoted.

The celestial body, long known as one of the nine planets of the solar system, will now be considered a "dwarf planet," the General Assembly of the 2006 International Astronomical Union ruled in a vote Thursday in Prague, Czech Republic.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune will be defined as "classical planets."

Three other bodies had been contending for planetary status as well: Ceres, the largest-known asteroid; "Xena," the nickname for 2003 UB313; and Charon, which has been considered Pluto's moon. Ceres and "Xena" will now share "dwarf planet" status with Pluto. Charon, it has been concluded, will be grouped with "small solar-system bodies."

The IAU said in a statement on Thursday that the definition for planet is now officially "a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape and (c) has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

FULL ARTICLE IS HERE

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
So we have 8 regular planets and 3 shit planets now? Man I always knew Pluto sucked, it's just a tiny ball of ice like billions of miles away, who cares about it?

It's all about the moon, anyway. I'm expecting to stay in a moon hotel before I die, people.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
They just complicated the shit out of things. Two different types of planets, plus a sub solar system for asteroids and shit. In a few years we'll have all sorts of shit.

Bronson

I'll need a badge.
Nov 10, 2003
Isn't Pluto bigger than Mercury anyway? So why isn't Mercury a dwarf planet?

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
because mercury isn't a jackass like pluto.

i was about this on attack of the show last night, the segment they did on it was pretty lame.

Bronson

I'll need a badge.
Nov 10, 2003
well that's because attack of the show is pretty lame

except when they were in vegas because olivia and layla were lookin good.

Patrick

Quite
Nov 10, 2003
I was pretty sure pluto was the smallest. But it may be because Mercury is just so close to the sun, and pluto is far away.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Mercury revolves around the sun, while pluto revolves around neptune is why it's different.

Link182

The Assman
Nov 10, 2003
Pluto doesn't revolve around Neptune. It's been classified as a dwarf planet because, for one thing, it's smaller than our moon. Not to mention its highly eccentric orbit around the sun and the fact that there are slightly larger objects further out into the Kuiper Belt.

Bronson

I'll need a badge.
Nov 10, 2003
Pluto doesn't revolve around Neptune. Their orbits around the sun intersect.

So when they run into each other and the universe explodes, we're fucked.