Site Future Plans

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I've been pondering this for a while and I'm still not 100% that I'm going to do it, but right now my plan for gamer handles is to slowly move it to our ZeldaXtreme website. Instead of a sudden move like we've done in the past, there is a lot of work that I would like to do before we switch over.

My main reasons for wanting to just move GH to ZX is this:
  • GH is only twice as popular as ZX is, which is pretty disappointing really as ZX isn't marketed hardly at all and most people only come to GH for the gamercards, and then never return. Gamercards could easily be merged into ZX.
  • GH is a coding mess, from the forums to the gamercards (which are interlinked), I would like to start fresh on both fronts (will keep users/posts/topics/forums/etc).
  • GH's miniscle content (reviews, articles, podcasts) could easily be moved to ZX.
  • GH's domain will still be live so redirects will be a lot easier than in the past when we moved domains.
  • The ZX tie in with GH's database is pretty crappy, and I don't trust it for most things. ZX would probably spawn more forums posters, rather than's GH register, make a card and leave.
  • Keeping up with two websites is a pain.
  • The two zelda games releasing this year should spur additional interest in zelda websites.

So that's my main reasons, my reasons for opposition is the many links to gamerhandles out there already. I should be able to find a way to redirect all inqueries to their correct page on ZX, but I am unsure if that will work.

For the most part ZX is already finished, I just need to finish the content sections for the majority of the Zelda games which is a major pain. I would like to move this site on November 10th, to coincide with the 10 years it's been since I shut down ZX before, but from a strategic standpoint it would make more sense to launch a couple of months before the LTTP sequel and WW HD releases this fall.

So that's what currently is brewing behind the scenes, if anyone has any comments/reasons why we should/shouldn't do it, then please feel free to mention it.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I'm okay with this. I just wish I was able to contribute in some helpful way, but I don't see how :/

Lulu

Kupo!
Nov 9, 2011
That seems neat, but a lot of people if they do join will not feel like they could talk about any other game on there? Since it'll be a Legend of Zelda forum then?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
Possibly, but general forum always been most popular one anyways even back in the zelda fansite days.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
content is a lot of work. ask me about that latest podcast hehehe

i dunno, i don't like contributing to things that aren't done with some effort, i'd rather have no content than some hounds level half-assery.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I'm not confident in my comic writing skills, but I'd be up for drawing them if someone else can write them. and if Lulu wants to draw them too we both do it to produce more content.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I predict that will last 2 weeks

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
well i need someone to WRITE the comics, you think I'm some kind of super-talented person or sumthin

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Testing script that is downloading all *popular* zelda drawings to server and adding records of who made them and when they were added to database.