The Duke Nukem Forever "Is it a flopzilla?" Thread

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
Now I'm by no means a very religious person. But if I'm wrong, and Randy Pitchford goes to heaven, this is what I imagine he'd see upon entering the pearly gates.

1christ-middle-finger.jpg

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
no polish here guys! Gearbox pretty much just took what 3d realms had done, finished it up, and is now selling it to all of ya.

Why the framerate drops and such long load times?! This game looks pretty dated, and the truck driving scene reminded me a lot of N64 era graphics. Maybe it was just the boxy truck.

Also two weapon limit is shit. What is this call of duty? No, even that game let you have at least 3.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
As long as the game is fun I can overlook technical issues like long load times and frame rate drops.

And it IS fun. Shooting a charging pig cop at point blank range with a shotgun and watching his arms and legs fall off is awesome. but the level design was pretty atrocious and the demo was way, wayyyyyyyyyy too short. It's slowly growing on me though, each time I play it I'm able to forgive it a little more. But the demo was such a disappointment for me I'm very strongly considering changing my preorder to the standard version.

I still think the full game will be fun to play, but I officially label the demo as DOO DOO

You suck Gearbox.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
After careful consideration and seeing user comments on the Gbx forums I'm canceling my 360 preorder and buying it on Steam. Apparently the PC version doesn't have framerate drops and it loads levels in 5 seconds versus half a goddamn minute.

Last edited:

Chris

Sweet Little Lies
Jan 15, 2011
After careful consideration and seeing user comments on the Gbx forums I'm canceling my 360 preorder and buying it on Steam. Apparently the PC version doesn't have framerate drops and it loads levels in 5 seconds versus half a goddamn minute.

Pretty sure a computer from 2004 with integrated graphics could run it.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
Through mysterious means I was able to obtain another access code. I'm downloading the PC demo now. I'll tell you guys how it runs on my moderate machine.

And by mysterious means I mean I PM'd AdamF and he gave me a steam code. I lied and told him my X360 code wasn't working. I'm evil.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Optimization shouldn't be an issue for something this dated and clunky. This is just lazy.

Uncharted 1 loads the first level faster than the DNF demo. That's also reading the data off the worst medium for gaming EVER.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I don't care who we're calling incompetent, the bottom line is incompetent developers make incompetent games.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Booted up the demo again.

Thought process = "WHY AM I DOING THIS!?"

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This game seems fun, but wouldn't the demo be your most polished segment? I think this game is gonna be mired with problems but still be ok to play.

Still one of the worst demos ever.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rzw2AQN41B0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brought to you by yours truly.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
I probably should have set up a raptr. After last night I was convinced I wouldn't play the demo again.

I've played it 6 times. On my 7th now.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
Don't F*** the next one up Gearbox, or I'm stealing Randy's Grandm....I mean...room mate's cat

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Really Travis? We're still censoring fuck?

C'mon now.