welp

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Its not too far, four-ish hour drive, might be shorter if we take the ferry. But it'll be a big change moving to the big city.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Just now seeing all this.

Congrats on the transition, buddy. Moving for a job is rough, but at the end of the day it's about what's best for yourself and family. Getting an 11k bump in pay is a big deal.

Does any of this effect your wife's job?

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
My wife is hoping that she can keep her job and just work from home. Going to find that out this week.

Also, why am I having so much trouble posting? The text boxes for new post and post replies isn't showing up. I had to post a blank reply and then edit it.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Weird stuff. I rebooted the server and seems to be working fine now?

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
So, status report I guess. My wife will luckily be able to keep her job and work from home when we move, which is SUPER convenient. That means she can just walk to the elementary school (five-ish minute walk) and bring Gabe home, so we'll be spending nothing on child care which is neat. Just confirming a few more things at work and we'll be putting in our application for a townhouse at Ocean Breeze Estates. We are hoping to rent out our house, and there is someone at work here that may be interested. I'd love to have someone I'm familiar with renting it out rather than someone we don't know.

We were initially looking at the three bedroom townhouses at Ocean Breeze, but I called them today to ask some questions and the three bedroom units don't come with washer and dryer, where the four bedroom ones do. And the four bedroom ones are only like an extra $75 a month and that would give Mel an office to work from, so we will go with that. Hoping to have the townhouse secured by end of week, and I'll be moving over at the end of the month. I'll be over there for at least a month by myself while the kids finish school, and then they'll move over in July and hopefully we'll have a tenant in our house for August.

Exciting (and scary) stuff.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Man, I would kill for a job where I could work from home.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, I will really miss being able to work from home whenever I want.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
So I got some of the final questions I had answered today, and yesterday we applied for the four bedroom townhouse. My company will write me a $5000 check to cover moving expenses. Anything I can't claim as an expense related to moving will be taxable to me, so essential the money is mine to use as I need which is great news. Hopefully tomorrow we will hear back about the townhouse and today I have a potential tenant coming to see the house. Everything may just work out smoothly for us!

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
We got approved for our townhouse yesterday, huzzah! Only issue is that it won't be ready for June 1, but June 15. So I'll be staying in the hotel for a couple weeks, but otherwise this is great news. Now the final piece of the puzzle is getting a tenant in our house, which I think we are very close to.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
big city livin and a voodoo woman named phyllis

glad it worked out sab

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I just deposited my relocation check in the bank. Is it said that it has probably been over six years since I've had more thank 5k in the bank?

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
So on Saturday Mel came over to Dartmouth so we could go see our new unit at Ocean Breeze Estates and sign the lease. Boy oh boy that place was TERRIBLE. Like, incredibly bad. From the pictures I saw online I knew it would be a step down from our house and that it would be a lot smaller but man, it was devastatingly bad. Not just tiny, but ugly and dirty and just nasty. So Saturday night we searched online and sent out emails to probably a dozen or so people who were advertising places to rent, and by Sunday we had four visits schedule. The unit we were looking at in Ocean Breeze Estates was $945 a month, and the places we looked at on Sunday ranged from $925 to $1250. With my new salary we should be able to manage $1250, we just wont be able to save quite as much or get our debts down quite as fast, but it will be well worth it to not live in a shit hole.

Here is an album of the places we looked at:
http://imgur.com/a/fg0TH

4 Ancona - $1250
9 Glenview - $925
19 Braeside - $1200 (this is the one we want most)
32 Venice - $1250 (this would be our second choice)

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
So Braeside ended up going to another family, but the owner of 32 Venice said that we are on the top of their list. Assuming there are no issues with our background check (which there will not be) they will be accepting us as tenants! And after looking over both Braeside and Venice a little closer, I actually think Venice is the better location of the two, and the house is really just as nice, with a more private back yard. I'M EXCITED!!!

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I thought the Glenview interior was pretty nice. Maybe too small. The Ancona one reminds me of a beach house, so that made me like it lol.

I love the Venice living room though. I take it you'll have to buy counter tops though?

Grats man.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
No, they are in the process of redoing the countertops, it will all be finished when I move in.