Horde Strategy Thread

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Ok, so this is my strategy.

I told Logan that at least one person has to stay at the door, because I believe the AI is scripted so that if someone is far away enough they will run to the closest person, hence why they come so fast before we can get into the house, however they generally don't bullcharge in when they get there except for those beastrider things.

Usually we die, because we retreat to the steps which if my theory holds true, means the people at the door have now left the area range that the monsters were hesitant to move through, which explains why there suddenly becomes 4 or 5 monsters inside and on the steps.

However, I realize such a strategy is not very feasible, as it's pretty difficult not to get one shotted by the beastriders. So I think a shield strategy is the most effective way of dealing with everything.

Theres two ways to go about this, the first way which would be the most difficult, but probably the safest, would be to set up 3 or 4 shields at the door, 2 in front, and 1(2) in back. It seems to be that only the regular locust, like therons, and the ones we saw in the first game, have the ability to kick shields down. I haven't seen any of the new ones kick them down, or find a way past them. This allows us to have a backup wall incase the first ones do get kicked down, and allow free reign to light up the enemies that try to get past.

However that is also difficult to accomplish.

So I figured that the only feasible, and the only strategy that isn't mostly luck is for one of us, I'll nominate myself in this case, to grab a shield, and have everyone on the stairs. I would position myself at the bottom of the stairs, and 2 would be behind me on the pillar, and one up above, but not so far out to get shot by enemies outside, maybe on the opposite side of the top pillar.

This would allow us to hold off the attacks of the beastriders and pretty much every other locust, EXCEPT maulers and "elongated" locusts. These two must be taken out as soon as possible, otherwise this plan would easily fall through. Of course, this plan does allow a little leniancy, as it would allow the shield holder to fall back in case of poison grenade, or a mauler getting to close. Of course said shield holder can only fall back to the top of the stairs, after that it's game over.

However, a mauler shouldn't be too difficult to deal with as the two people firing on it at the pillars SHOULD distract it enough for the top person to light it in time before it gets to me.

I think torque bows should be saved for maulers and "elongated monsters" as with the shield method, we don't have to go particularly fast with killing each monster. Of course with this plan, it will be next to useless to have a shotgun.

Okay so give me your comments and suggestions.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Sounds good. I especially agree with taking out the maulers early...or any "big time" enemy in the horde. Most of them spawn on the opposite side of the little river beside the house we're in, so perhaps early on, right when we are set up, a couple of us can storm upstairs and try to pick them off...plus someone can grab the torque bow. Getting rid of them would takea lot of pressure off all of us and allow us to really focus on defending on whose coming through the door.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I like the idea, but this certainly doesn't take in to account WHERE you're going to shoot the mauler from. It's big, but you still have to be conservative behind the pillar. God knows it doesn't take long for a Grinder to kill you, and if there are 3 boomers outside, you stand little chance to not eventually get splashed to death.

So if we can't get sufficient fire from the pillars, it'd have to be from up top. That's fine and dandy, but the killer there is the overwhelming amount of fire you can catch from everywhere else on the map. As someone who spends his time up top, the gaping hole up there leaves you open to anything. Grinders and Boomers are obvious concerns, but they can be worked around just like smaller time enemies. Rogue Therons shoving torque bow arrows up my asshole is what really scares me.

Also, in MY personal experience, the shield works well as a diversion. However, I've found that it is far from perfect. It doesn't protect you completely.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Ok does the lady in the pink shirt in Logan's avatar have a bunch of glowing pixels all over her for anybody else?

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
  • Admin
well hopefully 3 or 4 people shooting lancers would be enough to kill most things. the shield thing is mostly to protect against beastriders.

I realize the guy at the top will be the most exposed, maybe some kind of thing where he runs out to torque bow the mauler when one comes in? Or really, I guess it doesn't matter where since when the mauler gets close enough, he doesn't use his shield anymore, so maybe that guy can just stand near the top corner and fire from there.

Regardless, I don't expect such a plan to work flawlessly, it would probably take a few tries to win, but I can't see us winning now, or at the very least at level 40 or 50 without someway of protecting ourselfs.

Of course this is all assuming there isn't some other area on some other map that isn't perfect for this mode.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
Ok does the lady in the pink shirt in Logan's avatar have a bunch of glowing pixels all over her for anybody else?

yes.

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
Goddamnit I want to play Gears but my faggot-ass housemates are usin the damn TV

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I wonder if torque bow spawns at one house, and sniper at other? I seem to remember two sniper rifles one time though so I'm not sure.

I was reading about bloodmounts on the internets a while ago. It said if you shoot off the rider, the bloodmount is even more dangerous, however I think the bloodmount rider is just too much of a hassle to let live, and is probably better to take it out first.

Also, it does have a helmet, but if you shoot it's helmet it's suppose to take it off, but this makes it angrier.

Blah, bloodmounts are devils.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I'm unclear on bloodmounts. I always try to shoot their legs cause I'm not sure if shooting their head does damage until that mask is off. I dunno!

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
h8 bloodmounts and h8 those jerks that kick the shields down!

Joe

Groose
Nov 10, 2003
What map are you playing on? I should familiarize myself before I play with y'all

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
River.

There are 2 houses on the maps. We always barricade ourselves in one.

Bayli

Weeaboo Queen
Oct 15, 2006
And God forbid you go to a different house! Because if you're in one house and everyone else is in the other one, you're so fucked lolololol.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I almost think the 2 house system would work, but I seem to be the only one who thinks that way.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
i dont think we could kill a bloodmount with just two of us, let alone two of them

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Maaan I WILL ELABORATE LATER.

2 house is easiest way though.