MASS EFFECT 3

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Anyways: The Arrival DLC is definitely going to be the bridge to ME3. They stated they had three DLC packs in the works that would bridge the gap and Lair of the Shadow Broker was the first. This is definitely going to have some finality to it, so they either scrapped the middle one or injected it into this one. It's going to revolve around this Dr. Amanda Kenson, but what her involvement is with the main story is I can only guess. Going by the latest CDN, she discovered something about the mass relays, and it would make sense that she found out something about the Reapers.

There are three achievements we know about:

1) Covert Action
Rescue Dr. Amanda Kenson without attracting hostile attention.

We know who that is, but rescue her from who?! And without attracting hostile attention? A stealth mission maybe? Who knows!

2) Last Stand
Complete all 5 waves in the battle for Object Roh.

What the hell is Object Roh!? Something of Reaper origin!?

3) Ultimate Sacrifice
Complete the Arrival DLC.

The most foreboding is the final one! The ultimate sacrifice, what on earth could that be? It doesn't get more ultimate than the beginning of ME2!

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
As for Mass Effect 3, I have faith in it. The gameplay is gonna probably remained unchanged, save for a few tweaks and probably a fusion of Mass Effect 1 elements, which is great in my opinion. However, they can royally fuck it up in 4 different aspects. I'll go in order of severity, from least problematic to most.

1) The music: 1 and 2 had great music and this new composer doesn't seem like the right fit. I'd like to see a blend of some of the techy tracks of one and the sweeping orchestral tracks for 2. Long story short, make it loud and triumphant when needed, and quiet and mysterious when needed.

2) A bad ending: They've already said that ME3 is gonna end different ways depending on what you did over the three games. That makes perfect sense and I welcome any of that. However, there better be a good ending attainable. Maybe not good in a sunshine and rainbows way, but in a meaningful way. Also, no unneeded drama please.

3) A total FUCKUP of the canon: BioWare wrote themselves into a corner, that's for sure. You're going to face insurmountable odds in this game, so I fully expect some sort of deus ex machina ending. That's fine as long as they draw from some of the hints they've placed into the lore of the universe (The Leviathan of Dis, Klendagon Rift, the planet of Klencory, seriously look those up!) However, if they just make something stupid up, it'll cheapen the game beyond measure and ruin any semblance of story they've crafted over the past 4-5 years. Also, the Reapers CAN'T just attack Earth. If they're supposed to be proficient at galaxy-wide genocide, they're not gonna all hang out on Earth while you come and kill them.

4) NEW CHARACTERS: If there are more than 2 extra squad members in ME3, it will be INSTAFAIL. There are a total of 16 members to pick from over the two games, not to mention a METRIC FUCKTON of familiar NPCs that could fill the role (Feron, Aria, Captain Anderson, etc.) Regadless of the possibilities of Mass Effect 1 and 2, ME3's cast should be comprised of familiar faces PERIOD. Hell, the second game spent very little time dealing with the overarching storyline and ONLY focused on the characters. 12 characters was too many also, 6-8 is the magic number.

If BioWare staves all of these problems off, prepare to enter the Bone Zone.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
It's gonna be hard as hell choosing between this and Skyrim. :sadfrog:

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I agree, but if gaming hours were at a premium, I'd be much more concerned with the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy than Skyrim.

Skyrim will be fun over an extended period of time.

ME3 will be such a concentration of awesome over about a week's time that you might actually suffer internal injuries.

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
I agree, but if gaming hours were at a premium, I'd be much more concerned with the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy than Skyrim.

Skyrim will be fun over an extended period of time.

ME3 will be such a concentration of awesome over about a week's time that you might actually suffer internal injuries.

+10000000000000

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
screenshot-107-p.jpg

Screenshot number 2! What does it MEAN!?

Bronson

I'll need a badge.
Nov 10, 2003
Look they gave Chris a shout-out by putting his cholesterol rating on the computer!

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Mad Logan Conspiracy Theory INCOMING

foil.jpg

Maybe the number on the screen is an actual countdown, not an in game one. 304,942 seconds translates to about 3.5 days. Seeing as how they've carefully posted this at noon every day, that would constitute about a half of a day. That would make the countdown end on the 19th, right in the sweet spot of the "exclusive Mass Effect announcement to be held at some obscure game convention." People will want to play devil's advocate and I'll just prepare some counter Jordan points.

1) "The EA Czech thing said Mass Effect 3 announcement! Not ME2!"

An announcement for this DLC is basically a ME3 announcement, this is the precursor to that game. Think Dead Rising 2: Case Zero. I find it hard to believe they'll release concrete ME3 stuff anywhere but E3.

2) "EA CZECH? SO THE FUCK WHAT?"

EA and Sony's Russian divisions are the ones that outed the ME3 announcement at the VGAs and everyone cried foul. "AY MAYUN IF IT AINT BEIN ANNOUNCED FROM THE US GOT DAMN AY THAR AINT NO CREEDENCE TO THAT ARGUMENT" WROOOOONG, ME3 was announced just as I suspected.

3) "Why announce something big at such an obscure place and time?"

ME2 was announced on a Tuesday. That's right, no worldwide gamer convention of the ages, just an average Tuesday. Besides, they want to get this DLC out BEFORE E3 because the second half of the year is devoted solely to ME3 hype, and this is just the start.

arrival.gif
arrival.gif
arrival.gif
arrival.gif
arrival.gif

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Pretty solid points. At this point, I've just stopped looking around the internet for new ME 3 and just wait for Logan to pop in.

Actually, Bayli, that isn't far from the truth. I really think the whole "Save the base, por favor", or "BLOW THAT BITCH UP!" is going to have a massive impact on ME 3, especially where the Illusive Man is concerned, because I haven't trusted Cerberus (the Illusive Man) since they brought Shepard back to life. I think that decision is key in ME 3. How? Not sure yet.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
hey i wrote some shit for travis and i tihnk we're gonna keep a little mass effect 3 update page goin from now till release!

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Well, the Illusive Man is gonna be your bff in ME 3, everyone in your squad hates you, and I'm sure keeping the base will either be awesome because Cerberus actually ends up using it (and it proves to be worth while) , or it comes back to bite you in the ass.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I readin them comics and that Illusive Man got them HUSK eyes.

His ass gonna turn out to be brainwashed by the reapers or somethin.

NOW YA FUCKED UP!

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Seriously, that's what I've been saying. I'm thinking it just one huge act of betryal and the Illusive Man is just using Cerberus as a puppet before the shit hits the fan.