Nintendo Switch

Buying/Bought a Switch?

• Total voters

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Thoughts on these recent rumours?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch

Pokemon on Switch is a no brainer and will be a huge system seller. It will suck if Zelda isn't ready for launch, but realistically Mario is probably a better launch title anyway, as long as it is a proper open 3D Mario and not as linear as the last few. I would rather wait a few more months for a perfect Zelda I guess. Either way, I'm still almost certainly getting a Switch on or near launch day. Can't wait until January to see the launch lineup reveal.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Bummer if Zelda doesn't make it, especially if it gets pushed back to late summer/fall. I think if they include a demo of BoTW at launch, that should be enough to tide most fans over. Hopefully it doesn't keep getting pushed back even farther like FFXV.

Nintendo says that they are still going to support the 3DS, but I don't really buy it. I think all their handheld efforts will now be moved to the Switch, so logically the Pokemon main series would be on the Switch instead. They know Pokemon will create system sales, especially now after the hype of Pokemon Go, although it may be too late to capitalize on that.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, I think they are only saying it is not a 3DS successor as a failsafe in the unlikely chance that the Switch is a failure, then they can continue the handheld line separately. I'd say early 2018 (assuming the Switch is a success) they will end the 3DS line of products officially.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
General buzz was pretty positive after they showed off the Switch, so I don't think it has much chance of failure but we'll see.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I think the ONLY way it can fail is if the hardware is super outdated (seems unlikely given Nvidia's involvement and public comments) or there are no good games in the launch window (also unlikely, as this was why they pushed it into 2017).

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Target has a release date for BoTW as June 13, 2017.

y6P2lCI.png

Maybe an error, but kinda weird date to pick if it is.

Edit June 13th is first day of E3.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
UK retailer GameSeek is now taking pre-orders for Nintendo Switch, ahead of the console's early 2017 release date. Nintendo Switch is currently available to order through the site at just £198.50 - which could be well below RRP.

That is a little under 250 us dollars.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
"With any new hardware, there is always an element of 'wait and see,' and the install base is going to drive a lot [of Take-Two's level of support]. We're very intrigued and excited about it. The Nintendo folks I think are making a great effort to reach out to third-party developers, which I think is fantastic. I would say we're very optimistic and they're good partners. We're excited to work with them in the future on it."

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Looks like the bottom of the switch is using USB-C for charging. If so that means you will be able to use your own cables and external battery packs to charge this thing. Cool deal.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
CziqpbjUsAAbm9h.jpg

Christmas comes late this year.

Also, why is this presentation so late in the day?

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, it's on at midnight for me.

Also, looks like Yooka-Laylee is cancelled for Wii U, which is the version I backed. They announced an April 11 release date for PC, XB1, PS4 versions and said they are "working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch", with further details coming early next year. Sounds to me like it is either going to release on Switch on April 11 along with the other consoles.... or maybe Nintendo secured it as a launch title for the switch and it will come to the others later in April?

Either way, I guess I'm going to change my backing from Wii U to Switch version.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah I saw that. I wonder if Nintendo is paying developers to switch from Wii U to Switch development with their games - although its probably smarter to go with a Switch version at this point.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Oh wow, I didn't realize Yooka Laylee was being made by the old Rare team. I might have to give that a buy then.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah its looking great. I backed it for Wii U a looong time ago. I think if you pre-order on PC you get the "toybox" demo right away.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=20160361640&SectionNum=1&IDKey=326B0E12F871&HomeUrl=http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-bool.html%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26co1=AND%26d=PG01%26s1=15%252F178984%26OS=15/178984%26RS=15/178984

We got Switch Patents.

4 Joycons per Switch,
Touchscreen confirmed,
What's this? Looks like VR headset to be used with the switch. Similar to the VR headsets used for phones,
NFC support on right joycon.

Edit: VR picture:
switch_vr.png

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
garAC2.gif

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
Wow... I mean... I thought they delayed it to have a more robust launch lineup.

I will definitely still buy it, but jeez.

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, this presentation was pretty bad. Mario, Zelda, and maybe Splatoon were really the only things to look forward too "close" to launch with Zelda being the only launch title. 1,2 Switch is the only other launch title listed. Some other games have March 2017, but is it really only those two games for March 3rd?

I thought the 1,2 Switch was only a wild west game, but apparently its full of other mini games - they didn't really convey that very well. Plus $50 for this game? This should have been the pack in title like Wii Sports to help move units.

The boxing game looks ok, but at $60 how long could you really play that before it becomes stale? Hopefully there was more to it than what they showed. Maybe its going to be like a Punch Out successor.

I guess it doesn't really matter to complain about the launch lineup anyways, because I have a feeling that once preorders go up for North America that the system will sell out in a minute due to scalpers. Nintendo has learned the value of under-supplying to create more demand, and I doubt we will see that change with the Switch. I preordered from Gamestop so we'll see.

Also what was up with the english translators? lol