Nintendo Switch

Buying/Bought a Switch?

• Total voters

Dave

We'll bang, okay?
Oct 7, 2006
Doesn't sound like great battery life. 2.5-6 hours just tells me that the games you'll most want to play will kill the battery. Would've hoped for a minimum of 4 hours, but that might have been expecting too much. Playing while plugged into a USB is something of a redeemer. Not that it really matters to me; I'd barely use it remotely.

I don't know if it's a major fail, but I definitely didn't come away super impressed like many others. I appreciate that Nintendo is always pushing forward controller tech and thinking outside the box, but you're not going to "get me" on that aspect. I want to know what games they'll have and want to see them running. I think they only announced two launch titles, right? Now I'm sure there will be more, but as it stands, nothing I saw last night made me confident there'd be anything for me to play between Zelda and Mario. If that's the case, I can just pass on the launch and let the reviews get out there before thinking about it again down the road. Although you could almost guarantee making a couple hundred dollars profit on this thing if you pre-order now and sell it when the inevitable stock shortage hits at launch, if that's your thing.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I agree with everything you guys have said... and yet I just pre-ordered on Amazon. I might only pick up Zelda at launch but that still means I'm going to be playing Breath of the Wild on my Nintendo Switch in just seven weeks.

I'm very skeptical right now about paying for a Nintendo online service. They will really have to prove that it's worth it. From the wording they have on their website, it seems like we will be getting one free NES or SNES virtual console game per month to play for free (and only for that month), however it will also have added online play. That seems pretty interesting, but not sure if it will be enough to make me pay a monthly fee.

Some of the games not shown during the event are nice looking, Bomberman looks fun, and the battle mode in Mario Kart looks great.

Last edited:

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Holy shit, they are actually adding online play to the old games? That is great news and I hope they do the same for the other virtual console titles.

Sab did you order the normal switch or the blue and red one?

Also this

aae277b315964e1b93b7311ec3a76ad1.jpg

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
This snipperclips game they are showing on treehouse live looks pretty fun honestly lol

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
System / Dock
  • The AC adapter is interchangable between the dock and the portable system.
  • The AC adapter cable is not detachable from the plug.
  • The Switch can connect locally with other Switchs, supporting upto 8 players at once.
  • The back of the Switch dock flips down, exposing an additional USB port, the AC Adapter port and a HDMI port.
  • The dock has 3 usb ports, however, only the one on the back is USB 3.0
  • The Switch features Immersion's TouchSense technology (haptic feedback).
Joy-Cons / Grip
  • You can scan amiibo by tapping them on the right Joy-Con's stick. The left Joy-Con has no NFC.
  • Joy-Cons can be synced to a Switch by simply sliding them into the system.
  • The right Joy-Con has an IR sensor. The left does not.
  • The retail versions of the Neon Joy-Cons are the opposite color (left red, right blue) to those bundled with the Switch.
  • There are two types of Joy-Con Grip, one that can charge the Joy-Cons and one that can't. The grip packaged with the system cannot.
  • The Joy-Con Grip has a loop at the back to attach a strap.
  • Joy-Cons will automatically charge themselves when attached to the main Switch system.
  • All Joy-Cons (whether bundled, purchased individually or in a pair) include black Joy-Con Straps. The only way to get Gray, Neon Blue or Neon Red Joy-Con Straps is to purchase them separately. (Thanks /u/CapitalQ).
Pro Controller
  • The official Switch Pro controller can also scan amiibo, just tap them on the Switch logo in the middle.
  • The official pro controller features HD rumble and motion controls.
  • The pro controller can be charged directly using the Switch AC adapter.
  • The Hori Switch controller has a detachable d-pad, allowing you to swap between Switch button style or traditional d-pad.
Games / Online
  • There are currently 80+ games in development for Nintendo Switch.
  • Breath of the Wild will be 13.4GB on Switch.
  • Bomberman will be 4GB on Switch. (Thanks /u/ignition386)
  • Nintendo's online services for Switch will be subscription based. There will be a free trial period between March - Fall 2017.
  • You will still be able to access the eShop, register friends, share screenshots and access the parental app without a subscription.
  • Online subscribers will get a NES or SNES game free for a month, each month, as a reward. Some of these will have "newly-added online play".
  • Switch game cases are 10.4 x 16.9cm.
  • Nintendo Switch will feature voice chat, that can be accessed via a companion smartdevice app.
  • The only "additional" feature of the trial period is online gameplay. Voice chat, lobbies and monthly game downloads will not be included.

Link

Owner of ZC
Jun 10, 2006
I am super freaking excited for BoTW. I added Travis on WiiU and he has never accepted me yet... :(

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
When?! I will have to look when I get home but I remember the Wii U's friend notification thing not working right or I have to add you too or something.

Link

Owner of ZC
Jun 10, 2006
My NNID is zeldacavern I have been pending with you for like 26 days lol it's about to expire

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Zelda will have an expanison pass:

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/special-announcement-from-eiji-aonuma/

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year.

Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game's Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items.

• The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode, and a new feature for the in-game map.
  • The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story.
The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

TLDR:

Expansion Pass Bonus March 3rd, 2017
  • 3 new Treasure Chests
    • Found in the Great Plateau
    • Contains useful items
    • Includes exclusive in-game clothing
DLC Pack 1 Summer 2017
  • Adds new Cave of Trials challenge
  • New Hard Mode
  • Additional Map Feature
DLC Pack 2 Holiday 2017
  • New original story
  • New dungeon
  • Additional challenges

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
My NNID is zeldacavern I have been pending with you for like 26 days lol it's about to expire

Probably been that long since I was last on Wii U lol. I'll look when I get home since the miiverse website doesn't allow you to send or accept friend requests(????).

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Added a poll to this thread to see who is planning on buying a switch. Almost two weeks to go guis! Thank you 28 day February for making the date closer than it appears.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I've got mine pre-ordered on Amazon. Its my first time doing a pre-order on Amazon, so I'm not sure what their shipping is like. I chose the next day shipping (the fastest option) and right now its saying my expected deliver date is March 7-8. I'm hoping that will change once they actually have the hardware in stock and can ship it for it to arrive on the 3rd :(

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I've seen posts from people who work at Gamestop who already have the consoles and controllers/accessories in and on display. I want. :(

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I heard the Wii U copy leaked online today but so far that looks to be just baseless rumors.

SuperAfroBoy

Vertical Bacon Sandwich
Super Mod
Nov 10, 2003
I've heard that as well, can't really check most of the usual places till I get home though. As tempted as I am to download it... I'll just wait and experience it on the Switch.