E3 2011 Discussion

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
PSVita has a great price and great features, but if it has the same library that the PSP had then I could give two shits about it. The 3ds doesn't need to have astounding features, and Nintendo knows that. The only thing that matters is the games, and unless Sony realizes that people don't want to play knocked down versions of PS3 games on the PSVita then they are going to fall far in 2nd place again. I used my PSP for basically dissidia and emulation. I don't really care about a second analog nub, because for god sakes I get enough shooters on the god damn home consoles, I don't need them over-saturating them on my handhelds.

I don't understand the Nintendo doubt. PSVita isn't coming out for like 6 months, and Nintendo has been the master of the handheld world for like 20 years. I think they know what they are doing. The original DS was a piece of shit too and took a while to gain momentum while everyone praised the PSP for it's console like graphics. I see the same thing happening again.

wh1t3 t1gg3r

Hardcore Gamer
Jun 4, 2011
you know what is making me mad right now when i sign in on my psp it says go to the play station.com and change your password, when i go in and try to change it, it say sight under maintanence, what do i do?

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010
but then again, I havent really seen a 3DS game I really want to play (Besides OoT) which I can just emulate

Tarvis

Yeah, that's right.
Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I edited my post up there, but I'll say it again. The original DS library was complete shit and probably worse than the 3DS at this point in it's life cycle. I'm sure once Nintendo can start bringing out heavy hitters like Mario Kart 3DS, Animal Crossing, Super Mario, etc then it will be selling like hot cakes.

I must have played that Super Mario 64 DS for like a year.

I want a Smash Bros for 3DS. Come on Nintendo, make it happen.

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010
Games I want (bases on what I play on my DS now)
Animal Crossing
Pokemon
Tetris
Mario Kart
....thats all I pretty much play on my XL

wh1t3 t1gg3r

Hardcore Gamer
Jun 4, 2011
WHY CANT I CHANGE MY PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP SO I CAN GET ON THE PSN STORE FORMY PSP!! IS THIS HAPPENING TO ANYONE ELSE!

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010
WHY CANT I CHANGE MY PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP SO I CAN GET ON THE PSN STORE FORMY PSP!! IS THIS HAPPENING TO ANYONE ELSE!

who uses their PSP for online gaming
the only good thing the PSP is for is being hacked so you can play anything on it

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
I'm not saying that the 3DS won't end up being a viable platform. It's a Nintendo handheld, in a year or two it'll be unstoppable. There is almost zero chance of the Vita beating the 3DS in terms of sales and adoption rates.

But so far the only game the 3DS had a pretty terrible launch line up and the only games on the horizon that look to be worth a damn are Zelda, Mario, and Metal Gear. And two of those are ports of older games.

So far, I'm much more impressed with the features and the powers of Vita over the 3DS. What I'm trying to say is that if Sony can learn from their previous mistakes and create a lot of great content for the platform, it can still sell like hot cakes and have good attachment rates.

Especially if the launch of the NGP has a heavy hitter like Uncharted, it might even have stronger launch sales than the 3DS.

If Nintendo comes out tomorrow with a lot of kick ass games for the 3DS coming out before the end of the year, they can knock some wind out of Sony's sails.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
Travis is right. Sony's portable plans just differ from Nintendo's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just don't think it resonates with many people. It attracts a select few, but I'd like to think a lot of people (like myself) prefer meaty, story driven games for the couch and short, fun, and simple games for on the go.

That and Nintendo's first party games just put the asses in the seats. I personally don't see Sony ever beating Nintendo in the portable space.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
It won't.

The PSP is garbage. Let's face it. It was priced wrong, had terrible controls, and not alot of interesting content was ever developed for it.

But just because Sony is doomed to second place it doesn't mean that the Vita can't be a great platform. The hardware is there. It ALL depends on the content.

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
The PSV and it's dual analogues look misplaced to me. Looks super uncomfortable.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
psp2-ngp.jpg

The analog nubs look like they're more in line with the Dual Shock controllers design, and aren't at quite as awkwardly placed.

The buttons also appear to be smaller and grouped in a tighter formation, making it less of a strain to reach around (lol) for a button.

Still isn't looking like the most comfortable design ever, but it does look better.

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010
isnt there a touch screen on the front and back? if so...whats the point in that

Logan

Administrator
Nov 10, 2003
I guess my gripe is more with the same-plane placement of the sticks. I hate the dual shock for this. They should've flipped the d-pad and stick like the 360.

Jay

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sep 1, 2010
isnt there a touch screen on the front and back? if so...whats the point in that

The screen is touch enabled, as seen at the show.

There is a "touch pad" on the back of the system that could serve various purposes. For instance, sliding your fingers up and down on the touch pad could simulate climbing a wall.

And I agree Logan, the 360 controller is far superior to the PS3 controller.

Oobs

meh...
Dec 16, 2010
i played a PS2 for years before the xbox so im used to both analog stick styles